20 May 2009

The Second Trimester


I started feeling the movement of the baby inside and Cane was overwhelming when at the end of the second trimester, our doctor told us that we were expecting baby boy. A boy in Cane’s culture (Batak) and mine (Chinese) is the most important child for he will carry the surname of his father. He was so happy that he sang Batak’s song along the way home from the physician. Actually we did not really concern about the gender for we will love our child as it is, since a baby boy in the first pregnancy is quite rare in our family’s history so this news did double our happiness.

Another thing that I felt important to take into account which sometimes was forgotten was dental problems. As I read in the book that serious form of gum disease during pregnancy could increases the risk of having premature baby. The gums become swollen and inflamed, and tend to bleed easily because of pregnancy hormones. These hormones also make gums more susceptible to plaque and bacteria, which can develop into periodontitis. So I took vitamin C, juices and vegetables more than before. Careful brushing is advised as well or using dental flossing can prevent us from bleeding gum. Besides that, I started to have trouble with breathing and during the night sleep I felt uneasy. The best sleeping position that I found was on my left side with pillow placed in between two legs. I read that this position allowed maximum flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta as well as enhancing the kidney’s function.

Beware of mosquitoes, since along these month, mosquitoes tend to attack me more than Cane. When we watched TV together in the living room, I felt that mosquitoes were dancing near me more often and I was the only one who got lots of bites than he was. We took serious precautions for this problem by buying electric racket to catch and kill mosquitoes. This racket produces current if we push the button and this racket has three layers strings which trapped up the mosquitoes inside and gives the electric shocks to them. It is a safety tool to kill mosquitoes compared to any insect repellent.

I also started to take hospital tours and childbirth education class which gave me billions of benefits. They gave me valuable information from the very beginning until the child is born. The emergency number was given to us and we were welcomed to call them 24 hours for any information regarding our pregnancy. I took the class in Siloam Hospital at Karawaci – Tangerang. Cane joint the class with me to prepare himself as a good father, he even tried the simulation how to carry the new born in his hands. It was fun to know what we were expecting.

The seventh month was the celebration month according to Java tradition. During this month usually a traditional celebration is performed, the future father is asked to draw the baby's face in the coconuts, each for girl's face and boy's face. Later on, the future mother is wrapped in "sarong" and bathed with water filled with flower petals. In the water, some coins were put and spread in the air so that children can collect them afterward. Yellow rice with fried chicken and spices are served together with mixed fruits in peanut sauce. If the mixed fruits tasted delicious, it means that the future mother will deliver a baby girl otherwise a baby boy. I am no good in making traditional food, so the taste of mixed fruits really too spicy and terrible, however guests still enjoy the rest of the food...

Visit http://www.binus.ac.id

No comments:

Post a Comment